The CDC released Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People. For the purposes of this guidance, people are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 2 weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series, or 2 weeks after they have received a single-dose vaccine.
Fully vaccinated people can:
- Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
- Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing.
- Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic
This guidance represents a first step toward returning to everyday activities in our communities. However, while the new guidance is a positive step, the vast majority of people need to be fully vaccinated before COVID-19 precautions can be lifted broadly. Until then, it is important that everyone continues to adhere to public health mitigation measures to protect the large number of people who remain unvaccinated. CDC recommends that fully vaccinated people continue to take standard COVID-19 precautions – including wearing masks and physical distancing – when in public, when visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple other households, and when around unvaccinated people who are at high risk of getting severely ill from COVID-19.
This is the first set of public health recommendations for fully vaccinated people, and the guidance will be updated and expanded based on the level of community spread of SARS-CoV-2, the proportion of the population that is fully vaccinated, and the rapidly evolving science on COVID-19 vaccines. For more information, please visit:
- Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People
- When You’ve Been Fully Vaccinated
- Science Brief: Background Rationale and Evidence for Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People
Visit the CDC website for more Things to Know About the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Sign up for our Newsletter below! Stay updated with all the news you need.