The Independent Living Center of Southern California is focused on bringing substantive change to the systems that are barriers to people with disabilities who are striving to overcome everyday obstacles.
At ILCSC, we advocate for clients at multiple levels:
The basic objective of Systems Advocacy is to ensure that people with disabilities gain the same access, quality of life, and independence as the rest of the population.
Systems Advocacy Process
We work to change policies that affect people with disabilities on a day-to-day basis. Examples of practical policies, which affect the way people with disabilities move through the world, having been changed as a direct result of ILCSC advocacy include:
- Introduction of wheelchair-accessible waiting areas at CVS for the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Expansion of bathroom doorway width in housing complexes to accommodate wheelchairs.
- Accessible sidewalks an area of Van Nuys, CA.
In addition to advocating for clients, we also teach clients how they can advocate for themselves. We make sure they walk away with all the information they need to make their voices heard, whether at the systems or personal level. This information includes:
- Information on the legal process of advocacy and their specific rights as people with disabilities.
- Skills on how to trust themselves, talk to people, and ask for what they want.
We Will Assist You Every Step Of The Way
Mission Statement – ILCSC is dedicated to providing the services which offer the opportunity to seek an individual path towards independence, while educating the community.