Courtesy of the Los Angeles Department of Water & Power (LADWP)
Following are ways that customers can be prepared for possible power outages:
- Store flashlights and batteries in easy-to-reach places around the home. Make a mental note to know where they all are.
- Keep a battery-operated radio nearby for updates on power outages.
- Ventilate your home in the evening by opening doors and windows to clear out heat and circulate air.
- Always have a phone charger in the car. Having a fully charged phone to speak with friends and family during an outage can be both comforting and informative.
- Keep non-perishable food handy. If food in the refrigerator does spoil, you want to be sure and have plenty of alternatives nearby.
- Keep a cooler nearby to transfer food, using whatever ice you have before the outage.
- If you are medically dependent on critical equipment, consider purchasing a gasoline-powered backup generator.
Pay attention to and follow instructions when Flex Alerts are issued during peak energy use periods. For the latest information regarding power outages in Los Angeles, follow LADWP on Twitter @LADWP. Customers may also sign up for LADWP email notifications on www.ladwp.com/myaccount (log in to your online account, go to My Profile, and select the My Notifications tab) and www.ladwpnews.com.